Sunday, November 21, 2004

Lots of updates.

Lots of updates, In descending order of importance:

Got a cable internet connection to my house over the weekend. The logic being that I would now regularize my timings - and would not stay absurdly late in office (as I usually do). Fat Chance. A more observble offshoot may be more regular blogging.

When I took the 256 Kbps connection, I had visions of lightning fast downloads like the bullet train zipping past in one of the ISP commercials....After connecting the cable modem, and connecting to the Net, (with the added hassles of having a zonelabs firewall), my first download of jedit from sourceforge proceeded at a meager 20 kB/s...After much googling landed at a few speed test sites - www.toast.net and www.dslreports.com - the second one is a very good site. They enlightened me that the b in kbps means bits and the download speed which we typically see is measured in kB/s, KiloBytes per second...so my 256 kbps was after all a 35 kB/s line. But still the numbers didnot tally, some 15 kB/s still missing. On further reading found that, a 256 kbps line typically operates a 25 kB/s due to transmission losses in tcp/ip and the underlying ATM network... :-( and to top it, it has a 500 MB download limit. Still the connection is pretty fast (not as fast as I would like) and experienced hands like Abdul say that there is no way to cross 500 MB, if you dont indulge in P2P network clients...

Went home for Diwali and had a good time at home and visited all my favourite temples.

Jedit is one of the best and user friendly text editors I have used. With all the recent hullaballo about Firefox being 'the' browser and firefox evangelism, I think I will become an evangelist for jedit. and here is a big logo:

Get Jedit
Upgraded to jedit 4.2 at office and to my horror realised that it didnot have a jedit.exe for windows file association launching...then found that due to licensing issues or whatever, they have to remove it and as usual, a good samaritan had the work around for it - install a previous version of jedit (one with an .exe file) in the same directory and it would work fine.
Where would this world be if not for work arounds, eh?

Watched 7-G Rainbow Colony, the latest movie from Selvarghavan. Nice Movie, even if not very much believable in some parts. It was too melancholic for taste though. The songs were excellent though.(For my Andhra Readers(as if I have world wide audience), this is the same movie - '7 G Brindhavanamu Colony'). Yuvan Shankar Raja is becoming a force in Tamil Movie Music.

Read a very moving article about Chernobyl and its current status at www.kidofspeed.com. Don't be put off by the first page background...its a really good site with lots of pictures showing the ground reality in Chernobyl and the area affected by the disaster.

Almost forgot...I got promoted as a Project Lead!...

Ok Folks...its almost midnight and gotta sleep...its Monday Morning tomorrow.
ByE

3 Comments:

Blogger Abdul Bijur V.A. said...

Finally you did update your blog, finally Visu, we seem to have succeeded in our rebellion.

Somethings :

first : 256(2**8) bits = /32/ (2**5) bytes!!

second : You became a PL abt 2 months ago! Congratz :-D

third : abt this ".its Monday Morning tomorrow." .. i though u jus said you were abt to regulate your office timings ;)

12:09 AM  
Blogger Shanmu said...

Its seems every one except me know that the b in kbps stands for bit rather than byte :-(...

1:47 PM  
Blogger Abdul Bijur V.A. said...

lol , right!

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home